Here are some benchmark results in the ruby repository:
```
$ ruby -e 'p Dir["**/*"].size'
12171

$ ruby -rbenchmark -e '10.times { p Benchmark.realtime { Dir["**/*"] } }'
0.017877419999422273
0.015390422999189468
0.015255956001055893
0.015021605999208987
0.015777969998453045
0.015484851002838695
0.016179073001694633
0.015210424000542844
0.015358253996964777
0.014319942998554325

$ ruby -rbenchmark -e '10.times { p Benchmark.realtime { Dir["**/*"].sort } }'
0.017600111998035572
0.017109740001615137
0.017832364999776473
0.01726310600133729
0.018130796997866128
0.01659841600121581
0.018173008000303525
0.017528833999676863
0.017515739000373287
0.01770434499849216
```

So a bit slower but we can likely optimize further if desired.

Feature #8709: Dir.glob should return sorted file list