Issue #16487 has been updated by ahorek (Pavel Rosick=FD).

> use __target__ attributes

thanks for the links, very helpful

> It's unfortunate the C compiler cannot do this on its own.

yes, sometimes it's possible and it would be great, but
1/ it requires a lot of effort to convince the compiler to do what you want=
. It's basically about good data structures and alignments
2/ performance is usually worse
3/ if you care about readability than such code is even less readable

I don't think maintenance is a big deal. I'm more worried about code bloat,=
 having many functions (c, sse2, avx2 version etc...) to solve the same pro=
blem isn't DRY.

Misc #16487: Potential for SIMD usage in ruby-core