Issue #16463 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote:
> I'm against this change unless many real-world, difficult-to-avoid problems are reported.

Agreed.  Further, so far, not that many problems have been reported, and the problems reported are not difficult to avoid.

Using `method_added` doesn't even appear to be necessary.  In Rafael's Rails issue, all you need is `ruby2_keywords` in a few places in framework code, and no changes to user code, see https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/38105#discussion_r361803111

> And, ruby2_keywords by default is not a silver bullet.  If a method is intended to accept only positional arguments, and if a keyword is passed to the method, it must be warned.

To clarify, this is only the case if the arguments are later passed to another method that uses keyword arguments.  Calling a method that doesn't explicitly accept keywords with keywords is fine, the keywords are just treated as a positional hash in this case.

> ruby2_keywords by default hides the appropriate warning.  A user will miss the code that should be fixed.  In addition, if the flagged hash is unintentionally leaked, the would cause very time-consuming issue: "What's happen!?" -> "Why is this hash passed as keywords!?" -> "Where is this flagged hash created!?".  (Of course `ruby2_keywords` is possible to cause the same issue, but the possibility is much lower than "by default".)

I agree.  I worked on a branch with `ruby2_keywords` by default before 2.7.0 was released.  I consider that approach too risky.  `ruby2_keywords` can cause significant problems if used incorrectly.  I think it is only safe to enable it in cases where you know the usage is correct, which is basically the ruby 2.7.0 behavior.

Feature #16463: Fixing *args-delegation in Ruby 2.7: ruby2_keywords semantics by default in 2.7.1