> it reverses the common meaning of `=>` in Ruby of `key => value`.

But what is "common" meaning? `key => value` just means "key corresponds to value" (which you also can read "parameter name corresponds to (=>) local variable").

It also means _exactly_ "...and put in this variable" in this cases:

* `rescue Exception => e` (always)
* `key: pattern => variable` (2.7's pattern matching)

And generally, one may theorize that `=> foo` can be read like "put someting into foo".

With `foo bar:` syntax there are two problems:
* It is unlike _anything_ that exists in Ruby (I can't remember a thing where two names separated by space would be a standalone syntax and not just a shortcut, say `puts x` === `puts(x)`)
* For me, it is totally un-mnemonic: is it `external_name internal_name:` or `internal_name external_name:`? How one should remember? How many time one will confuse it and swear "why it does not works like tutorial says???"

At least `foo: => bar` _can_ be taught as "name some thing `foo:` (its _key_ is `foo:`) and put it _into_ (=>) `bar`"

Feature #16460: External names for keyword parameters in method definitions