Issue #14918 has been updated by josh.cheek (Josh Cheek).

Backport set to 2.5: UNKNOWN, 2.6: UNKNOWN
Tracker changed from Feature to Bug
File Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 11.47.25 AM.png added

aycabta (aycabta .) wrote:
> Ruby loses readline standard library when the system doesn't have libreadline during Ruby installation, At https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11084, @hsbt proposed pure Ruby implementation. But I think that rb-readline is not good for Ruby standard library and I described it at http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/86213. The important reason for it personally is that rb-readline doesn't have vi mode.
>
> So I'm implementing Reline for a new standard library as GNU Readline and existing ext/readline compatible. I can maintain it.
> https://github.com/aycabta/reline
>
> I don't think that Reline should replace ext/readline fully, it's just for fallback. But it's important for Ruby.

Reline does not seem to support bracketed paste mode:

```
$ ruby -v
ruby 2.7.0p0 (2019-12-25 revision 647ee6f091) [x86_64-darwin18]

$  # has 2 lines of input
   pbpaste
"abc"
.upcase

$ # readline respects bracketed paste mode, reads in both lines
   ruby -r readline -e 'p Readline.readline "> "'
> "abc"
.upcase
"\"abc\"\n.upcase"

$ # reline does not support bracketed paste mode, reads them in as 2 separate lines
   ruby -r reline -e '2.times { p Reline.readline "> " }'
> "abc"
"\"abc\""
> .upcase
".upcase"

$ cat ~/.inputrc | sed '/^$/q'
set enable-bracketed-paste    on
set blink-matching-paren      on
set colored-completion-prefix on
set colored-stats             on
set keyseq-timeout            250
set show-all-if-ambiguous     on
set visible-stats             on
```

I also checked one of the other config options (blink-matching-paren) and it blinks with readline, but not reline. Makes me wonder if it isn't reading the ~/.inputrc file (it may be Mac specific).

Reporting it here as the Github project doesn't seem to have an issues section.

Bug #14918: Use Reline for fallback of ext/readline

Ruby loses readline standard library when the system doesn't have libreadline during Ruby installation, At https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/11084, @hsbt proposed pure Ruby implementation. But I think that rb-readline is not good for Ruby standard library and I described it at http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/86213. The important reason for it personally is that rb-readline doesn't have vi mode.

So I'm implementing Reline for a new standard library as GNU Readline and existing ext/readline compatible. I can maintain it.
https://github.com/aycabta/reline

I don't think that Reline should replace ext/readline fully, it's just for fallback. But it's important for Ruby.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 11.47.25 AM.png (83.4 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/