I believe that it is too late to discuss "opt-in or opt-out?".

IMO, the quality of the new IRB is not so low.  But it highly depends upon environments (OS, terminal, how to use, etc.), so we want people to use the new version, give feedback, and help us improve quality.  That being said, if people hit an issue, they need to work around it.  So the banner message is added.

I understand that the message is not fit to rails console.  But "change the default!" and "remove the message!" are too aggressive, I think.  Please consider why it is added, and please propose more moderate options like rephasing the message, providing another way to configure it, etc.

Misc #16444: What is the reason for the warning of IRB?

* Author: y-yagi (Yuji Yaginuma)
* Assignee:
Ruby 2.7 always shows a warning when starting IRB. Why is this necessary?

Of course, ways to suppress the warning have been suggested.
However, libraries that extend IRB, such as `rails console` and `aruba`, may not receive arguments equivalent as IRB.
In this case, trying to run as suggested in this proposal(e.g. run `rails console` with `--legacy` argument)  will result in an error. I think this can be confusing for users.

If have not major known issues, I think we can keep the current behavior without warning. On the other hand, if there is already an issue, isn't the better for the old behavior by default?

Thanks.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/