> Please don't put ideological thoughts on me, that's not a good basis for debate.

Oh no, I'm not. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was mostly replying to comments in #8948, but I ended up posting here because this is the ticket that is linked in #16393 DevelopersMeeting20191220Japan.

Yes, of course when one way is blocked there's always an alternate way of doing things. But the point is that if someone is *currently* relying on Regexp literals not being frozen, this change will break their code. Given that the benefit is close to zero, I don't think it's responsible to force anyone to bear that cost. I'm very conservative about backward compatibility.

Feature #16377: Regexp literals should be frozen