From what I remember of Windows, `Find.find('D:')` would search in the current directory of D:
My guess is that you're actually executing the first script from `D:\Downloads\Ruby 2.5.3\rbL\comp\` and the second script from `D:\` (or maybe `C:\some\dir\`?)
So you may want to check the value of `Dir.pwd` in each case.

Misc #16396: What is the reason for this behaviour of Find.find?

* Author: stiuna (Juan Gregorio)
* Assignee:
When I have a script at `D:\Downloads\Ruby 2.5.3\rbL\comp\codeShort.rb` with few other files in the same folder, the following searches only the folder where the `.rb` script is located:

``` ruby
Find.find('D:')
```

When I have a script at `D:\Downloads\Ruby 2.5.3\rbL\codeShort.rb` with many other files in the same folder, the same code as above searches the entire disk D.

To search the entire disk D in the first case, I did this:

``` ruby
Find.find('D:/')
```

But I don't understand why the two cases behave differently with the same instruction just because they script are in different directories.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/