Issue #16373 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

> Cons

> The document of Object class will be almost empty, which may cause confusion for readers while there is
> a link to included module, Kernel

> It makes sense to me. Do we have a reason to keep them in Kernel not in Object?

I can not answer that - but personally I would prefer to keep it simple and show where it is defined
no matter what other explanations may exist. Personally I like a flat hierarchy so I concur.

I should however had also like to admit that I do not use "ri" personally. I ended up storing things
in my own local knowledge base and just end up googling for new information if I need it. But I can
see that the above is confusing for ruby users.

Perhaps the best would be to extend ri/rdoc to also allow "pointer" output on the commandline, such
as to display where a method is defined, and to then also show if there is another typical use
or definition.

Example what I mean, taking your input:

    $ ri Kernel#then
    Nothing known about Kernel#then
    $ ri Object#then
    [Prints documentation]

    $ ri Kernel#then

"Kernel#then is available via Object#then. The documentation is as follows:"

[Prints documentation]

Just an example, e. g. display an additional line, and then show the documentation
for Object#then.

Would that solve the above issue? Of course that is just meant as an example;
there can be different solutions. If I understood your issue then the primary
problem is that in the first example you find no information at all, when in
reality the information is there - just with another name.

I guess "ri" was not that user-friendly when it was written back then.

Bug #16373: RDoc for some of the Kernel methods cannot be found in Kernel module