knu (Akinori MUSHA) wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised and confused.  The change that has been made is not what this issue was originally about, and actually the opposite, I think.

Per matz's decision: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/13083#note-3
I renamed the issue in https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/13083#note-16 to match the current change.
Now it's just a deprecation warning.

> I believe many of us have got used to the original behavior, that is, methods of a Regexp object work permissively and accept nil, and we know we've migrated many pieces of code from `/re/ =~ nilable` / `/re/ === nilable` to `/re/.match?(nilable)` for the sake of performance and readability just as shugo said above.
>
> Can't we reconsider this?  Or we'll be doomed to back out all those changes we believed to improve performance.

`nilable&.match?(/re/)` would be an easy way to rewrite those cases, no?

@matz and others: what do you think, should we make `Regexp#{match,match?}` consistent and not accept `nil` or accept them as special-case to match the =~ and === operators?

Feature #13083: Regexp#{match,match?} with a nil argument are deprecated and will raise a TypeError in Ruby 3.0