Issue #1089 has been updated by sawa (Tsuyoshi Sawada).

rogerdpack (Roger Pack) wrote:
> It's sad that #sort on linux is "mostly stable" but on OS X is unstable [1].  It's confusing, unfortunately.

Do you really mean it's sad? Or do you mean it's said?

Feature #1089: Stable sorting for sort and sort_by

* Author: murphy (Kornelius Kalnbach)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version:
=begin
 I'd like to have stable sorting in Ruby. Stable sorting means that if two items are ==, they will retain their order in the list after sorting. In other words, stable sort does never switch two equal items.

 In Ruby 1.9.1, you'd have to use something like

   enum.sort_by.with_index { |a, i| [a, i] }

 to achieve a stable sort in Ruby.

 It would also be nice to minimize the number of comparisons, since method calling is expensive in Ruby.

 Python is using a highly optimized implementation of a variant of merge sort, which is stable and uses very few comparisons (called Timsort after Tim Peters); maybe Ruby can adopt it for sort and sort_by:

   http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Objects/listsort.txt

 Introducing stable sorting would not be a problem for old code because the order of equal items after sorting is currently not specified.
=end

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/