hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) wrote:
> This discussion started with "how big the incompatibility is?" at https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16150#note-18
>
> The old version of Rails is incompatible. And I also got the issue of `middleman` depends on `memoist`. So, my company blog built by `middleman` is broken now with Ruby 2.7.0-preview2.
>
> We found the big incompatibility now. We should restart to discuss this feature.

Thank you for the more detailed explanation.

IMHO, requiring to update (not upgrade) Rails before Ruby is good practice anyway, so the fact that 6.0.0 has an issue is unfortunate but not a deal breaker.

FWIW, the PR to memoist has just been merged (not yet released): https://github.com/matthewrudy/memoist/pull/82

I understand having to update multiple dependencies to use Ruby 2.7 is not great.

With this change reverted, are both cases working?

So I guess we should try to deprecate mutable String#to_sym via #16153 now.
On the upside, it seems useful to have such a deprecation facility for making more Strings frozen.

Feature #16150: Add a way to request a frozen string from to_s