alanwu (Alan Wu) wrote:
> Since the beginning of time (correct me if I'm wrong), the two falsy values in Ruby has been `false` and `nil`, period.
> Adding another falsy value is a big change.

I Agree. Not saying there's no benefit, but this is too big a change for too small a benefit. Usually `nil` will play the role of the undefined value, so it might be nice if a method definition allowed something like `def foo(v ||= 42)`. But nowadays we have keyword arguments which do exactly what is needed in this case.

```ruby
def f2(x: 2)

def f1(y:1, **kw)
  y + f2(**kw)
end

f1(y: 3) #=> 5
```

Feature #11660: a falsy value (similar to js undefined) that facilitates forwarding of default arguments