Issue #16275 has been updated by timriley (Tim Riley).

Jeremy  I”Ēm sorry for the overreach in that clumsy wording. Let me rephrase: what I saw here was a fair number of comments supporting the removal of an already-implemented feature of 2.7 that I felt had good potential and that I was personally looking forward to using. I wanted to make it clear that there was at least some positive anticipation for the feature from within the community of Ruby users; if I had said nothing, maybe that sentiment would”Ēve gone unnoticed.

As for dry-rb, I did not leave my original comment as any kind of representation from that project (which is why I did not mention it). If there”Ēs any further misunderstanding I”Ēd be more than happy to clarify things with you personally, outside of this ticket. Cheers :)

Feature #16275: Revert `.:` syntax

* Author: naruse (Yui NARUSE)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
`obj.:method` is introduced at r66667 by #12125 and #13581.
It encourages the functional programming style in Ruby.

But this shorthand syntax is just for methods of `self` without arguments.
It causes another feature requests like #16273 (and lambda compositions like #15428).

Such features will introduce a new view of Ruby but no one illustrates the whole picture yet.
I worried about such patch work may cause a conflict with future expansion of functional programing style or a just a garbage feature.

`.:` syntax is introduced in 2.7.0 preview1, not released in production yet.
How about reverting at this time and re-introduce with a big picture.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/