Issue #16282 has been reported by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson).

Feature #16282: Add "call data" wrapper IMEMO object so inline cache can be updated
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/16282

* Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hi,

Currently the compactor will invalidate all inline caches.  I would like to update references in inline caches so we don't have to invalidate.  Most inline caches are reachable from instruction sequences, but one cache is not:

  https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/6147fa82a923e7318f493857023006801ed25eb5/internal.h#L2395

This static variable can't be reached from the GC.  I'd like to introduce a new IMEMO object that wraps this cache, then the GC can reach the cache and update the value.

I've attached a patch that implements the new IMEMO object, and also removes the restriction on GCC so that all compilers get the cache hit.

Does this seem OK shyouhei, ko1?

0001-Wrap-call-data-with-an-IMEMO-object.patch (3.8 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/