URABE Shyouhei wrote:

> You may not be familiar with it. STABLE is a *BSD technical term and
> does not mean a "stable source code". Refer these documents:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
> http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html
>
> and useful ML debates:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/028193.html

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the "STABLE" word causes many
problems for those that use it. If you read that thread further, many
people agree and, in fact, vote for the *removal* of FreeBSD's own
"STABLE" terminology:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/028409.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/028489.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-September/028491.html

Either way, I agree that there needs to be some way for changes to get
into 1.8.x. The performance improvements being discussed in 1.8 are
_very_ interesting (even though I know YARV is in development for 2.0)

-Nate