> How would we define the current semantics, without being very complex or confusing?

Beautifully simple:
_0 is a single implicit parameter, as in x in { |x| }
_1 is the first numbered parameter, as in x in { |x,y,z,etc| }
_2 is the second numbered parameter, as in y in { |x,y,z,etc| }

How unfortunate that you managed to persuade matz :-(

Bug #16178: Numbered parameters: _1 should be the same as |x| and _0 should not exist