Feature #16147: List Comprehensions in Ruby

* Author: sammomichael (Samuel Michael)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
## List comprehensions are present in many languages and programmers are quite fond of their simplicity and power. Add to that the fact that Ruby has a for...in loop that is rarely used but could possibly be repurposed.

### Currently we can already do a hack like this to make Ruby support list comprehension syntax:

``` ruby
S = [for x in 0...9 do $* << x*2 if x.even? end, $*][1]
# [0, 4, 8, 12, 16]
```

Still, it would be far nicer if the for...in loop would return the desired array automatically, this is one way to approach that taking advantage of lambda bracket invocation syntax:

``` ruby
c = -> x do $*.clear
  if x['if'] && x[0] != 'f' .
    y = x[0...x.index('for')]
    x = x[x.index('for')..-1]
    (x.insert(x.index(x.split[3]) + x.split[3].length, " do $* << #{y}")
    x.insert(x.length, "end; $*")
    eval(x)
    $*)
  elsif x['if'] && x[0] == 'f'
    (x.insert(x.index(x.split[3]) + x.split[3].length, " do $* << x")
    x.insert(x.length, "end; $*")
    eval(x)
    $*)
  elsif !x['if'] && x[0] != 'f'
    y = x[0...x.index('for')]
    x = x[x.index('for')..-1]
    (x.insert(x.index(x.split[3]) + x.split[3].length, " do $* << #{y}")
    x.insert(x.length, "end; $*")
    eval(x)
    $*)
  else
    eval(x.split[3]).to_a

```

so basically we are converting a string to proper ruby syntax for loop then we can use python syntax in a string to do:

``` ruby

c['for x in 1..10']
c['for x in 1..10 if x.even?']
c['x**2 for x in 1..10 if x.even?']
c['x**2 for x in 1..10']

# [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
# [2, 4, 6, 8, 10]
# [4, 16, 36, 64, 100]
# [1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100]

```

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/