Issue #16172 has been updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler).

I wanted to briefly add that I think C++ support or have it as a "first class citizen"
could be great - even though competent programmers such as matz or linus are not
necessarily the biggest fan of C++. :-)

I like some parts of C++, simple things such as cout << "hello world" (almost like
in ruby, at the least the <<), and there have been other ruby users who wrote
wrapper code for C++ before - hanmac here, for example, with wxwidgets bindings,
but also the old kde/qt bindings for ruby, which unfortunately have not been that
active ever since the kde4 to kde5 transition (I can not say why for certain; I
don't think it is directly related to ruby per se, but to KDE moving quite rapidly
and people getting frustrated or just lacking time to add code when a target moves.)

Anyway - I think there may always be interested folks for C++ stuff, so for these
users/developers, I think C++ support as a "first-class citizen" would be great.

This reasoning is a bit similar to e. g. integrating bundler and gemifying the
stdlib; the net benefit to individual ruby users, but also to the whole ecosystem,
may easily warrant the transition (and of course the effort, time etc... spent
to do so, too). Anyway that is just my 2 cc. :)

Misc #16172: C++ situation?