Issue #16157 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

Dan0042 (Daniel DeLorme) wrote:
> After some more thinking I believe the `pass_keywords` behavior would be appropriate for 100% of methods with an argument splat but no keywords.

We do not want this as the default behavior.  Consider:

```ruby
def foo(*args)
  bar(*quux)
  baz(*args)
end
```

Here in the call to `bar`, the purpose is not to pass arguments through, but to call the method `quux` and splat the arguments received from that method as positional arguments.  If `bar` accepts a positional argument splat and keyword arguments, and `quux` returns an array where the last element is a hash, then the last element will be treated as keywords to `bar`, even though that is not what we want (these are the types of bugs keyword argument separation is designed to fix).

`pass_keywords` is designed only for arbitrary delegation methods, and only where backwards compatibility with Ruby <2.7 is desired.  It should eventually be removed after Ruby <2.7 is EOL.  As the implementation is based on VM frame flags, it requires extra internal work in the VM for every method call.

Misc #16157: What is the correct and *portable* way to do generic delegation?