nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> I thought UTF-16LE and CP932 as the main purpose however, I'm bit surpris=
ed that these texts have been extinct on Windows already. :tada:

They are not yet extinct, unfortunately :-(. In Japan, there may be quite a=
 few cases where this would work, but even in Japan, there are many other c=
ases where a larger and/or different selection of encodings is needed.

Bug #15908: Detecting BOM with non-UTF encoding

* Author: nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada)
* Assignee: =

* Target version: =

* ruby -v: =

Currently, "bom|" encoding prefix to `File.open` is ignored if the encoding=
 name is not a UTF.
But one usage of BOM is to tell if the stream is a UTF or not, and especial=
ly common on Windows, e.g. UTF-16LE or OEMCP.
So I think this restriction should be removed.

0001-Enable-BOM-detection-with-non-UTF-encodings.patch (4.27 KB)

-- =

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/