Issue #16131 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

I agree with the removal of `$SAFE` and the taint tracking. Proposed timeline:

2.7:

* Remove taint tracking/mechanism.
* Non-verbose warning on setting/access of `$SAFE`
* `taint`/`trust`/`untaint`/`untrust` become no-ops, verbose warning when called

3.0:

* No warning on setting/access of `$SAFE`, it switches to normal global variable.

3.2:

* `taint`/`trust`/`untaint`/`untrust` non-verbose warning when called

3.3:

* `taint`/`trust`/`untaint`/`untrust` removed

The reasoning behind the delayed removal of the `taint`/`trust`/`untaint`/`untrust` methods is that most gems want to support all currently supported Ruby versions, and removing these methods soon may make that more difficult.

Feature #16131: Remove $SAFE, taint and trust