I understand there's theoretically exist a situation this feature is useful.
But I think it doesn't exist in practice.
I object to provide an additional utility to support legacy encoding.

Bug #15908: Detecting BOM with non-UTF encoding

* Author: nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
Currently, "bom|" encoding prefix to `File.open` is ignored if the encoding name is not a UTF.
But one usage of BOM is to tell if the stream is a UTF or not, and especially common on Windows, e.g. UTF-16LE or OEMCP.
So I think this restriction should be removed.

0001-Enable-BOM-detection-with-non-UTF-encodings.patch (4.27 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/