Agreed.

Matz.

Feature #15868: Implement `File.absolute_path?`

* Author: deivid (David Rodr=EDguez)
* Assignee: =

* Target version: =

Currently there's no way to check whether a path is absolute or not in a wa=
y that works accross OSs. The pathname library has the #absolute? method, b=
ut that only checks whether the path starts with a slash, which is not appr=
opriate for Windows.

I thought of reimplementing it as something like File.absolute_path(self) =
=3D=3D self, but that would mean accessing the filesystem, which I don't th=
ink we want here.

I also thought of implementing the "windows letter checks" in the pathname'=
s library, but then I saw that those are already implemented in file.c, so =
I thought it would be a good idea to expose those. So I propose to add File=
.absolute_path? for this.

If this is accepted, I can do a follow-up PR to change Pathname#absolute? t=
o delegate to File.absolute_path?.

What do you think?

I attach a patch to add `File.absolute_path?` here (I also opened a PR on G=
ithub: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2198). =

0001-Add-File.absolute_path.patch (3.24 KB)
0001-Add-File.absolute_path.patch (3.24 KB)

-- =

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/