Accepted.

Matz.

Feature #11460: Unhelpful error message when naming a module with the same name as an existing class

* Author: iMIchael (Michael Martinez)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
# Summary
The error message when naming a module with the same name as an existing class causes more trouble then it helps.

# Steps to Reproduce
~~~
class X;end
module X;end
=> TypeError: X is not a module
~~~

# Expected Results
Ruby has this very helpful and explicit error when reassigning a value to an existing constant.

~~~
A = 1
A = 2
warning: already initialized constant A
warning: previous definition of A was here
~~~

which makes me expect Ruby to keep track of names of global constants and prevent me from colliding names with helpful warnings. This warning however raises a "Type error" which is not very intuitive. When users think of type errors they think of things like "foo" * "foo" => TypeError: no implicit conversion of String into Integer.

# Actual Results
Confusion about what the actual error is, especially for people learning Ruby.

mod-reopen-error-message.patch (2.82 KB)
0001-Show-the-previous-definition-location.patch (4.89 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/