Issue #16123 has been updated by dylants (Dylan Thacker-Smith).

Here is a script to help demonstrate the inconsistency, where `self.bar = 123` is allowed by `self.bar` is not.

```ruby
class Foo
  def foo
    self.bar = 123 # allowed
    self.bar # raises
  end

  private

  attr_accessor :bar
end

Foo.new.foo
```

By attribute writer, I was just referring to an assignment method like the one defined by `attr_writer`, although the same applies to any assignment method like `def bar=(value); value; end`.  The inconsistency is just more obvious when dealing with the pair of methods defined by `attr_accessor` if they are private because `self.` works with one of them but not the other as shown above.

shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) wrote:
> I may not understand this, but I assume you can get the value of any method via .send() and assign it to the local variable?

Yes, it can be easily worked around, it just doesn't seem like it should be necessary to workaround this limitation.  The point of `private` is to keep things from being accessible from other objects, which we know isn't the case when a call is made on `self.` directly.

Feature #16123: Allow calling a private method with `self.`