I'm personally okay with "squash and merge" too, especially because "rebase and merge" cannot update a commit message when we want to add a thing like `[Bug #12345]`. We can allow both "rebase and merge" and "squash and merge", and make either of them ruby/ruby's default.

@jeremyevans @marcandre Do you have any preference on it? Or do you think it's fine to make "squash and merge" default, as it keeps a true linear history too?

Misc #16094: Allow only "Rebase and merge" on GitHub and sync it on git.ruby-lang.org pre-receive hook

* Author: k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun)
* Assignee: k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun)
## Problem
* Our pull request merge strategy confuses contributors, as described in [Misc #16093].
* In [Misc #16093], some committers did not like accepting a merge commit.

## Solution
* Allow using GitHub's "Rebase and merge" to committers, as suggested by @marcandre
  * Disable other merge modes like "Create a merge commit" and "Squash and merge" in GitHub repository settings.
  * Also prohibit pushes to the master branch which are not coming from a pull request by requiring CI in GitHub repository settings.
* Perform GitHub bidirectional sync on git.ruby-lang.org pre-receive hook, and accept a push if it does not conflict with "Rebase and merge" on GitHub.

## Notes
* Even after implementing this ticket, the Ruby's canonical Git repository will continue to be git.ruby-lang.org as is.
* All committers must push non-pull-request commits to git.ruby-lang.org. Direct pushes to GitHub will continue to be disabled.
* This approach has one drawback; `git push` to git.ruby-lang.org might block longer than now.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/