Issue #16012 has been updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA).

Assignee set to hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA)
Status changed from Open to Assigned

Feature #16012: Add a (small) test-install suite?

* Author: MSP-Greg (Greg L)
* Assignee: hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA)
* Target version:
At various times there has been discussion about whether testing should require `make install`.  Although I prefer to do testing using install (vs build), I see it as a choice, and not a requirement.

From time to time various issues have arisen that cannot be found with 'build' testing.  Often, these issues cause CI test failure with master/trunk/ruby-head in external repos.  Sometimes people blame 'Core', other times Travis, or rvm.  Regardless, it doesn't look good.

So, might a small set of tests that check install functionality be added?  It may need to be two separate (but equivalent) scripts.  One for *nix, one for Windows.

In ruby-loco, I'm using a ps1 script to check that CLI bin files work.  As soon as the update is pushed here, I'll add a test for nested bundler commands...

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/