Issue #16012 has been updated by MSP-Greg (Greg L).

@nobu,

> What do you mean by to "check install functionality" concretely?

Anything that cannot be checked in the build folder.

Sometime recently, at least some of the bin stubs broke. So checking that all bin stubs run correctly would be one set of tests.

See https://ci.appveyor.com/project/MSP-Greg/ruby-loco/builds/26107569#L2961 for what I added to ruby-loco for cli.  The build/job will fail if they don't pass.

Also, Bundler can be installed as a gem, it's also tested in it's own repo.  But, some of the logic used when it is a default gem (as in trunk) was incorrect, and repos that had nested 'bundle' commands had CI failures.

This test suite would be small, as there aren't a lot of things to check, and it would only be usable/informative when used after `make install`.

One thing in particular it would help with is verifying that 'ruby-head' functions corrrectly when used in external repo/gem's CI testing...

I remember a while ago I was helping a popular gem with Appveyor, and I suggested that they test on 'ruby-head'.  The response was essentially 'no, it fails too often, we don't want to bother".  Not a common opinion, and I've also seen failures blamed on Travis, rvm, etc.

Personally, I want the Ruby community to think that 'ruby-head' is solid.  The more testing it's exposed to, the better...

Feature #16012: Add a (small) test-install suite?