Hi,

At last, we're starting to merge YARV into Ruby.

We've talked about it; our plan is below.

1. Import most of the Ruby specification from the current Ruby HEAD (*a)
to YARV.
   This will be done within YARV's current repository.
2. Make a subversion repository (*b) from (*a) with cvs2svn.
3. Commit YARV (after phase (1)) to (*b).
4. Commit some patches (*c) to (*b) => (*d).
5. (*d) will be the official Ruby repository.
2007/12?@1.9.1 release with YARV

assignment:
  1, 2, 3: ko1
  4: matz
  5: ?
  final decision on 5: matz

We are planning to finish phase (5) by 2006/11

Under this plan, Ruby development will change as follows:

a) The Ruby evaluator will be YARV.  Ruby will import YARV's limitations
  -> support only native thread, nonsupport Thread.critical,
     change specification of eval() with binding, etc.

b) The Ruby repository will be a Subversion repository

And we need your help!

* reporting on eval.c / parse.y catch-up

One purpose of YARV is to replace Ruby's evaluator.  However, YARV has
not caught up with current Ruby HEAD changes in eval.c and parse.y.  You
can help by reporting any differences you spot between YARV and Ruby
HEAD in these files.

* YARV Source review

YARV is developed by me, so the code quality seems low.  Please check
YARV source code and please point out any strange code you see.

* Others

Other input is very welcome.  This change is very big, so please give us
your comments.  Before phase (5), we can rollback this plan.

YARV: Yet Another Ruby VM
http://www.atdot.net/yarv/

YARV Subversion repository
http://www.atdot.net/svn/yarv/trunk

YARV on ViewCVS
http://www.atdot.net/viewcvs/yarv/trunk/

dblack checked English of this post.  Thank you very much!

Regards,
--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net