Issue #4436 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

Backport set to 2.5: UNKNOWN, 2.6: UNKNOWN
ruby -v deleted (1.8.7)
Description updated
Subject changed from FileUtils#cp_r verbose mode prints output to stderr to FileUtils verbose mode prints output to stderr
Project changed from Ruby 1.8 to Ruby master

This was set to the Ruby 1.8 tracker, but I think it is still an issue currently for all FileUtils methods.  Changing the default behavior could possibly be done in Ruby 3, and potentially we could add an option for `$stdout` (or another IO stream) for non-error messages in 2.7.

Bug #4436: FileUtils verbose mode prints output to stderr

* Author: jrdioko (Johnathan Ritzi)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v:
* Backport: 2.5: UNKNOWN, 2.6: UNKNOWN
=begin
I'm using a plugin in a Ruby on Rails application that uses FileUtils's cp_r method to copy files into place (with verbose mode on). When deploying my application with Capistrano, I get several "error" lines during this part (http://groups.google.com/group/capistrano/browse_thread/thread/64e95a26af3035cd?pli=1).

It appears that FileUtils#cp_r prints all output in verbose mode to stderr, even if the output is not erroneous (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3163585/getting-executed-command-from-ruby-fileutils). It seems that fu_output_message (and related code) should be changed so that output goes to stdout and errors go to stderr, as usual.
=end

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/