Issue #16001 has been updated by chrisseaton (Chris Seaton).

>  If so, it seems like a very heavy handed way to shorten something that is already fairly short

For some reason nobody seems to have commented here what I think is the original motivation for this new method - it's not an alias for brevity, it's a performance thing. Getting the full backtrace is extremely expensive and nobody has a good idea how to make it fully lazy. This new method allows the user to explicitly say that they only need some of the callers.

Feature #16001: Provide an alias to Kernel#caller_locations(1,1) and Kernel#caller(1,1)