Issue #10626 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

Status changed from Open to Feedback

I tried the last two gists with many Ruby versions (1.9-2.7) and could not produce a crash.  These were compiled with clang 7 on OpenBSD.  It's possible with a different compiler and compiler options the results would be different.  Can you get your examples to crash with a currently supported version of Ruby?

Bug #10626: BUS error from nesting lambda's and calls to methods defined with define_method

* Author: jaroslawr (Jarosaw Rzesztko)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.1.5
I get a BUS error from executing the following Ruby program: https://gist.github.com/jaroslawr/8579678d7c68a49208f0

I am on Gentoo Linux and Ruby 2.1.5, and have also tried Ruby 2.1.4, 2.1.3, ..., down to 2.1.0. My colleagues The problem seems to lie in rapidly consuming stack space, and goes away when the stack size limit is increased with ulimit -s. For the real world context behind this, see the corresponding Rails issue I opened:

https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/18011

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/