Issue #15976 has been reported by fcheung (Frederick Cheung).

Feature #15976: Add Array#overlaps? for whether the intersection of 2 arrays is non empty?
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15976

* Author: fcheung (Frederick Cheung)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
This is semantically equivalent to `(ary1 & ary2).any?`, but more efficient and makes the intent more obvious.

For example bundler [checks]( https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/master/lib/bundler/runtime.rb#L61 ) whether the list of requested groups and the list of groups for a dependency has any overlap - it doesn't care what the overlap is, as long as it is non empty

In my personal projects we've found this to be a bottleneck when the arrays are large and where intersections are likely - `(ary1 & ary2).any`? keeps searching for all of the intersection even after we've found the first one, & creates extra garbage because of the intermediate array.

See https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/2260

2260.patch (3.35 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/