Status changed from Open to Closed

Ok, if this is supposed to map the the ABI version, then I guess we'll leave it as is. It doesn't really have the same meaning on other impls, and I agree with Vit that it shouldn't be used for other purposes (like it seems to be used in RubyGems).

I'll consider this closed.

Bug #15791: Clarify reason for RbConfig's ruby_version not reflecting "teeny" value

* Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: all
I did not realize that MRI always reports `RbConfig::CONFIG['ruby_version']` without the "teeny" value. Instead, it makes it always 0:

```
$ rvm ruby-2.6.2 do ruby -v -e 'p RbConfig::CONFIG["ruby_version"]'
ruby 2.6.2p47 (2019-03-13 revision 67232) [x86_64-darwin18]
"2.6.0"
```

This seems like a bug to me. It is a visible behavior because several package-management systems (RubyGems, Bundler, stuff in Ruby switchers like RVM) use this value, rather than RUBY_VERSION, to set up directory paths.

I believe it should reflect the full, accurate version, but I have not been able to find any discussion about why it does not do so.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/