Issue #12764 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

File rbinstall-destdir.patch added

This change broke installation when using `--dest-dir`, if the gem file without `--dest-dir` exists and the user performing the install does not have write access to the containing directory.  This affects building a package for the OpenBSD port if a previous package is already installed.  Attached is a patch to fix the issue.  I plan on committing it unless I hear objections.

Bug #12764: rubygems with multi default gem problem

* Author: znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA)
* Assignee: hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA)
* Target version:
* ruby -v: trunk
This issue may affect Ruby committers only.
This does not probably affect released ruby.

With development ruby, `make install` many times.
After them, default gems are duplicated when exists updated.
And gem with old version in Gemfile does not work well.

Example:

```
% gem list rdoc

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rdoc (default: 5.0.0.beta2, default: 4.2.1)
% cat Gemfile
# frozen_string_literal: true
source "https://rubygems.org"

# gem "rails"
gem 'rdoc', '4.2.1'
% cat Gemfile.lock
GEM
  remote: https://rubygems.org/
  specs:
    rdoc (4.2.1)

PLATFORMS
  ruby

DEPENDENCIES
  rdoc (= 4.2.1)

BUNDLED WITH
   1.13.0
% bundle exec ruby -r rdoc -e 'p RDoc::VERSION'
"5.0.0.beta2"
```

FYI: [Difference of bundled gem and default gem (in Japanese)](http://blog.n-z.jp/blog/2016-09-10-bundled-gem-and-default-gem.html)

rbinstall-destdir.patch (997 Bytes)