jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) wrote:
> Attached is a documentation patch.

Seems fine.

A question:
> However, local variables set inside the call to +eval+ will not be reflected in the surrounding scope.

Isn't "set" vague a little, between "defined" an "assigned"?

Bug #13337: Eval and Later Defined Local Variables

* Author: faraz (Faraz Yashar)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.4.0
I've noticed the following behavior with eval:

~~~ ruby
def example
  eval("foo") # => nil, but would expect a NameError
  eval("bar") # => NameError
  foo = 1
end
~~~

I'm assuming this behavior is expected, since "eval" executes in the context of the existing YARV instructions and local table, but I'm not certain since I haven't seen this behavior documented anywhere.

doc-eval-local-var.patch (1.63 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/