Issue #5400 has been updated by CodeGnome (Todd Jacobs).

rovf (Ronald Fischer) wrote:

> Do NOT remove this useful feature!!! I used it a lot already in Perl, and now using it in Ruby too. The deprecation warning also causes a lot of headache

Very much this. I find the flip-flop operator extremely useful for text processing, and don't see *any* value-add to removing such a useful feature. If the problem is that the new explicit-line syntax or other changes have made it harder to use, or that the documentation on this useful feature is lacking, then that's a potentially useful bug. The OP's view that they don't use it, so the feature should be removed, is definitely something that would punish *me* personally. You're not alone in relying on this useful feature.

The deprecation warning is also an anti-feature. It makes a legitimate language feature look like a bug. That helps nobody. I hope the flip-flop operator stays, and that the deprecation warning gets removed.

Feature #5400: Remove flip-flops in 2.0