puchuu (Andrew Aladjev) wrote:
> Is it possible to create independent string from source string without memcpy that will be freed automatically?

In C there are several ways to free a memory region, depending how that string was allocated.
"Every string must be able to be freed using free()" is simply a wrong assertion.

So no, there is no way for ruby to automatically free a memory allocated by others.
C is not made that way.

Feature #15923: New independent string without memcpy