Issue #15923 has been reported by puchuu (Andrew Aladjev).

Feature #15923: New independent string without memcpy
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15923

* Author: puchuu (Andrew Aladjev)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
Hello. I've just tried to implement extension for ruby that will provide large binary strings.

I've inspected latest ruby source code and found 2 functions: _rb_str_new_ and _rb_str_new_static_ .

* _rb_str_new_ allocates new memory and uses _memcpy_ to copy from source string to new memory.
* _rb_str_new_static_ uses existing source string as it is, but adds _STR_NOFREE_ flag.

Is it possible to create independent string from source string without memcpy that will be freed automatically? Thank you.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/