On 10/20/06, Sam Roberts <sroberts / uniserve.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 01:11:36AM +0900, dblack / wobblini.net wrote:
> > Did you see Austin's by_* methods?
> >   string.lines   # an array
> >   string.by_lines { }   # enumeration (no intermediate array)
> This is identical to ruby1.8's string.each_line {}
>
> >   string.by_lines       # enumerator (or your "something"?)
>
> This is identical to ruby1.9's string.each_line.
>
> > I really like that way of breaking it out.
>
> I like the functionality, and #lines, but why not keep using "each_"
> instead of "by_"?

Because the problem is #lines, not #each_line. My understanding is
that ultimately Ruby 1.9 wont have String#each_line at all, and you'll
instead have to do String#lines#each to get this. More, String#lines
without #each returns an enumerator. So, instead of String#lines, use
String#by_lines. Where I personally disagree with David is that we
shouldn't have String#lines at all. I'd rather have
String#by_lines#to_a.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca