Issue #15901 has been updated by knu (Akinori MUSHA).

I'd rather keep this issue simple.  We can talk about it later in another issue.

Feature #15901: Enumerator::Lazy#eager

* Author: knu (Akinori MUSHA)
* Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
* Target version:
There are cases where you want to create and pass a normal Enumerable object to a consumer where the methods like map and select are expected to return an array, but the calculation would be so space costly without using Enumerator::Lazy because of intermediate arrays.  In such cases, you would want to chain `lazy` and calculation methods like `flat_map` and `select`, then convert the lazy enumerator back to a normal Enumerator.

However, there is no direct method that converts a lazy Enumerator to an eager one, because the` to_enum` method returns a lazy Enumerator when the receiver is a lazy Enumerator.  So, I propose this `eager` method as the missing piece for the said use case.

Here's the rdoc from the attached patch.

```C
/*
 * call-seq:
 *   lzy.eager -> enum
 *
 * Returns a non-lazy Enumerator converted from the lazy enumerator.
 *
 * This is useful where a normal Enumerable object needs to be
 * generated while lazy operation is still desired to avoid creating
 * intermediate arrays.
 *
 *   enum = huge_collection.lazy.flat_map(&:children).reject(&:disabled?).eager
 *   enum.map {|x| ...}  # an array is returned
 */
```

0001-Implement-Enumerator-Lazy-eager.patch (2.32 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/