Issue #5400 has been updated by scub8040 (Saverio M.).

judofyr (Magnus Holm) wrote:
> Nobody knows them. Nobody uses them. Let's just get rid of flip-flops, shall we?

I'll chip in as a dev who spends a significant amount of time scripting.

First, the description of the issue is false. I do use the flip-flop operator, so statements like "Nobody knows/uses it" are false.

I'm not being pedantic here - I'm pointing out that there is a very strong bias in presenting the issue in these terms, which is not a good starting point for a discussion.

Second - I find underwhelming to conflate the functionality with its syntax, throwing away the former because the latter is arguably poor, without evaluating any alternatives.

Flip-flop logic exists in the major scripting languages - Perl and AWK, and I think sed as well; it's arguably seldom used, but it has a very specific use case, where it fits very well. Devs who frequently process text do use it.

My last issue is somewhat subtle. I see an underlying philosophy of identifying Ruby as the "Rails language" and nothing else; removing the flip-flop feature is a symbolic detachment of Ruby from text processing.

Making Ruby the "Rails language" is a respectable direction, but is it really desirable?

Feature #5400: Remove flip-flops in 2.0