Issue #15886 has been updated by moio (Silvio Moioli).

I like this proposed wording, thanks for taking care of this!

Bug #15886: return in rescue block breaks Timeout.timeout

* Author: moio (Silvio Moioli)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: ruby 2.5.1p57 (2018-03-29 revision 63029) [x86_64-linux-gnu]
Passing `Timeout.timeout` a block with a rescue clause that contains a return statement prevents `Timeout::Error` to be raised as expected.

Reproducer:

``` ruby
require 'timeout'

begin
  Timeout.timeout(1) do
    begin
      sleep 10
    ensure
      puts "ensure block executed"

      ## commenting line below restores expected behaviour
      return true

rescue Timeout::Error => e
  puts "EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR: timeout error rescued"
end
```

Expected output:
```
ensure block executed
EXPECTED BEHAVIOR: timeout error rescued
```

Actual output:
```
ensure block executed
```

Looking in Redmine the following two issues appear related (but I lack the insight to tell for sure):
 - https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14859
 - https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7503

I apologize in advance if this issue is a duplicate.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/