On 10/20/06, Ola Bini <ola.bini / ki.se> wrote:

> Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > On 10/20/06, Sean E. Russell <ser / germane-software.com> wrote:

> >> Which end of a String of Arabic (written right-to-left) characters do
> >> you start iterating from?
> >
> > That's easy, getting the first character is still at index 0.  Just
> > because the text is displayed left-to-right doesn't mean that text is
> > stored in reverse order.

> The problem is that the "first line" isn't necessarily the same thing as
> str.lines[0], just because lines are stored in that order.

Whatever do you mean?  For Arabic, the order of lines is the same,
even though printing may start on "our" last page of a book.

Of course, for old-style japanese, for example, lines are
displayed/written vertically.  Still, the first line, however it is
rendered, is the first line, i.e., at index 0.

  nikolai