Issue #15893 has been reported by zverok (Victor Shepelev).

Misc #15893: open-uri: URI.open status
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15893

* Author: zverok (Victor Shepelev)
* Assignee:
On the one hand, Ruby 2.5's NEWS [stated](https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/bf287424fd00c0304c836525bb52d89fc1f4a84a#diff-ff4e2dc4962dc25a1512353299992c8dR298):

> URI.open method defined as an alias to open-uri's Kernel.open. open-uri's Kernel.open will be deprecated in future.

I believe there were good reasons for that decision.

On the other hand,
* no movements in this direction were done since 2.5
* `URI.open` [is excluded](https://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/lib/open-uri.rb#L43) from `open-uri`'s docs, and the main library's [documentation](https://ruby-doc.org/stdlib-2.5.0/libdoc/open-uri/rdoc/OpenURI.html) doesn't mention this option as preferred or even existing.

I'd like to know what the real status of this library and its migration to (safer) `URI.open`?
Should a patch be provided to change the library's docs accordingly?
Maybe even change the code (still leaving `Kernel.open` option, but just as an alias, moving the implementation away from that method)?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/