Hanmac (Hans Mackowiak) wrote:
> is there a way to see if two encoding objects are compatible or can that only be checked on the string?

`Encoding.compatible?` can take Encoding arguments too:

    > Encoding.compatible?(Encoding::UTF_8, Encoding::US_ASCII)
    => #<Encoding:UTF-8>

Bug #15876: 1.to_s.encoding != Encoding.default_internal

* Author: grosser (Michael Grosser)
* Assignee:
* Target version:
* ruby -v: 2.6.3
I ran into strange looking test output when I compared .to_s with an expected text, saying that the encoding was different, which is confusing/annoying especially to users that don't know how encodings work in ruby.
1.to_s.encoding should be the same as "".encoding

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/