On 10/19/06, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> > Anyway, I'd love to be able to write
> >
> > IO.read(file).lines.each{ |line| puts line if line =~ pattern }.

> If lines were a collection of lines, you could do exactly that.  And,
> just to say it again, I'm not saying that there should be no methods
> that return Enumerators, just that "things" sounds (to my Ruby-trained
> mind :-) like a collection/array of things.

But it /is/ a collection of lines.  And it works just fine without an
intermediate array.  What I'm saying is that you may have to retrain
your mind to get it to understand that a collection can be represented
by other things than a plain-ol' array.

I realize that you know what I'm saying above, but I figured I'd drive
my point home in a concise manner as well.

  nikolai