Status changed from Open to Closed

Ruby came out of Unicode 12.1 BETA with commit e713c2bde8. So this issue ca=
n be closed.

The reason it is more difficult to get out of beta than to enter beta is be=
cause the behavior in beta is to always check for new versions of files. Th=
at makes sure we are always up to date with respect to Unicode. But the beh=
avior for non-beta is not not really check (because nothing is supposed to =
change anyway).

This creates two potential problems:
1) Files change from the latest beta to the final version. In this case, if=
 we switched to non-beta at the same time as Unicode, people who had compil=
ed with beta wouldn't pick up the latest changes, but would think they are =
now on the final version.
2) People who don't recompile Ruby regularly. In this case, they risk to mi=
ss a beta version, and risk being on an outdated beta version when we switc=
h to non-beta.

This time around, there were no changes in the data files relevant for Ruby=
 from the last beta to final. So we didn't have to worry about 1). But 2) s=
till was a concern. So we waited and stayed on beta for quite a bit after U=
nicode itself went out of beta (quite a bit of that delay was also caused b=
y me getting used to git :-().

Fortunately, Unicode Versions are not very frequent, and we usually use UNI=
CODE_BETA =3D YES only locally, and deploy after Unicode is out of beta. Un=
icode Version 12.1 was special, because the changes were needed in Japan fo=
r the change of the Emperor on May 1st, but Unicode 12.1 only came out of b=
eta about a week later.

Misc #15859: Is Unicode in beta?