Sam Roberts wrote:
> >>I still don't understand why there is Symbol at all in Ruby<<,
> though, it
> seems that it could be entirely replaced by String, UNLESS it does
> something faster/better than just String#freeze. I know the object_ids
> are the same, but using Symbol instead of String doesn't seem to make
> comparisons fast, at least in ruby code (maybe it is faster in C?).

This is an interesting question (stuff between >> <<) to me also.   I
guess saying something requires immutable strings would be fine and if
you passed a mutable one it would generate an immutable one (most
functions accept string now and to_sym it).  Is Symbol as subclass of
String more useful than String which can be mutable or immutable?

I guess there are always more than one way to skin a cat, but I am
trying to understand motivation (perhaps backwards compatibility?)?

-Tom